Friday, September 17, 2010

Attila The Barn Cat

When we moved in our new home, it became clear that the barn had a family or rats living in. The previous owner used rat poison, I found a few old samples in different areas of the barn, which I removed while rats were watching me, crawling on top of the metal structure of the barn. I opted for another approach. We went to the pet store and ask for a mean cat. The lady at the store seem delighted by our request, put a thick glove on, and extracted a gray kitty from the cat cage. "Here, I have what you need!" she said, while the kitten was hissing ferociously.
We let the cat loose in the barn, and fed him minimally, so that he wouldn't starve, but would be hungry enough to hunt. I choose a name which I hoped would represent the same thing to the rat as it did to my ancestors: Attila.
The following day, we found 3 small rats drown in his bucket of water. I don't think he killed them, I think they got scared and drown trying to escape him. During the following week, a total of 7 rats were found drowned.
After a few months during which we barely saw Attila, we did not see any more rats in our barn. At some point, we did not see Attila for several weeks. We could hear coyotes howling, so we feared Attila had become their dinner. Then, one day, I saw Attila while I had my camera on hand. Here is the first shot of Attila:

Attila was feeding in the plate I set for him. I approach a little more, and he stepped away. I had time to set the zoom and get a better shot:

I got a little closer, and Attila decided that was enough. See you later Attila!

No comments:

Post a Comment