Monday, September 6, 2010

Incubator Update

Our first egg has been 6 days in the incubator, with the three following, 5 days. So I decided to candle these 4 eggs to check for embryo development. Normally, candling should be done at the eighth day, when blood vessels start to be visible.
One of the four eggs tested showed barely visible blood vessels. This was an egg from Sept 1st, so only 5 days of incubation. The 3 other eggs did not show blood vessel. Two were dark, and one clear. It is probably too early to tell. I may also need a stronger light than an LED flashlight to candle my eggs.
Nevertheless, I know that at least one of my eggs is fertile and developing, so that is a success so far. I will post regular updates of the state of embryo development. This is another pretty exiting project! The fertile egg should hatch on Sept 22nd. Stay tuned!

Here is a good guide about candling eggs:
[ Candling Eggs ]

No comments:

Post a Comment